Wednesday, July 25, 2007

No, no news. Well, there is some, but it has only lead to more uncertainty so I will save it for later.

In the interim, I do some person admin. Having previously been assured that my very expensive ticket is fully flexible by the Emirates call centre in Calcutta some time ago, I call them again to change my return flight. I don’t actually have a return date in mind, but I know I don’t want to go home next Tuesday, which is when the booking is currently for, so I need to change it.

I call the Australian call centre number, which puts me through to India.

A very, very quiet, far-away voice answers.

“I can hardly hear you,” I say.

“HelloemiratesairlineshowcanIhelpyou?”

“I want to change my flight date,” and I give the booking reference.

Long Silence.

“This is not possible. Your ticket expires on the first of August. You need to go home on Tuesday if you want to use this ticket”

“WHAT? I called before and was told it was fully flexible”

“This ticket expires on the first of August.”

“Well, why was I told it was flexible when I called before?”

Long Silence.

Extremely bored tone. “This is what it says. Your ticket expires on the first of August.”

I throw myself full throttle into middle-class strop mode. [I learnt how to do this from watching my mother, who is excellent at it. One day when I have time I will tell the fabulous story of unsatisfactory dishwasher installation.]

Me, firmly, “I want to speak to someone else in your office about this.”

Long Silence.

Bored with a hint of snide now. “Well, if you hang up your phone, then call this number again, you will probably get another staff member taking your call.”

Long Silence.

I do not think my call was being recorded for quality and coaching purposes

I hang up, then freak out about having to pack up and leave in 6 days. Then I call the Frankfurt office of Emirates. Such is my state of nerves that I just start speaking in English. A nice man in reservations with perfect English confirms that my ticket is indeed fully flexible and rebooks it for me, for October.

3 Comments:

Blogger dilettantiquity said...

Urgh, horrid call centres. *hug* I do want to see you, but possibly not last Tuesday. xx

July 26, 2007 at 4:47 AM  
Blogger dilettantiquity said...

PS Your posts about the Drachenfels make me...homesick isn't the right word since it's not HOME...but something-sick for the Rheinland. I've been up there so many times...

July 26, 2007 at 4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie - why not come? The Rheinland awaits. I know, work and stuff. But seriously, think about it.

July 26, 2007 at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home